Thursday, January 5, 2012

returns on stock investments

I would like to share the 12-month returns on my stock investments with citiseconline:

Percentage of portfolio STOCK 12-month return

25% AC 9.81%

4% AEV 3.47%

4% CHIB 3.95%

2.7% GMA7 -2.15%

3.7% JFC 11.25%

0.2% LPZ -23.96%

2.1% PNX -3.93%

4% PX -14.4%

2.7% SM 13.6%

12.4% SMC 2.95%

19.8% TEL 15.69%

10.1% URC 17.63%

8.61% VLL -9.44%

100% Total 6.36%

A 6.36% return (excluding dividends) is quite good compared to the PSEi which yielded 4.07%. The returns on Sunlife's Equity fund perfromed slightly better than the index, returning 4.1%.
Wouldn't it be nice if I had just invested everything with URC and got 17.63% in a year, but then again, that is in hindsight. Going forward I could have just easily invested everything with LPZ and lost (-23.96%) a fourth of my money. Another point I would like to share is that in stock investing, it is possible that you can beat the index and actively managed funds. But I still invest in mutual funds, particularly Sunlife, since I do not always trust myself to make rational decisions. I may have exceeded their returns for this time period but that will not always be the case. Diversification and risk management is very important. Happy investing!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gabriel,

    This is nick of Mutual Fund Philippines. We would like to invite you to be part of our newly built community.

    We are a Mutual Fund Distributor, selling funds managed by PhilAm Asset Management Inc. (PAMI), First Metro Asset Management Inc. (FAMI), and PhilEquity Management Inc. (PEMI). Since you are already investing, you may want to consider the funds managed by three of the best Mutual Fund Management companies.

    For more information, you may visit us at http://mutualfundphilippines.com

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nick, thanks for visiting and for introducing your company. As with all investment decisions, I need to study what you're offering and and if they fit my investment style. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with that. Investors should always consider their investing preference, and not other's preference. That's one of our visions, that is, to empower investors in making informed decisions, appropriate with their unique personal needs.

    Just in case your considering to further diversify your mutual fund holdings, we'll be very willing to assist you.

    Thanks,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.

      Delete